This 3-day workshop runs for 12 hours (six 2-hr sessions):
Friday, July 17, 10am-12pm and 1pm-3pm CDT
Saturday, July 18, 10am-12pm and 1pm-3pm CDT
Sunday, July 19, 10am-12pm and 1pm-3pm CDT
You have explored the pop-up how-to books. You're ready to make your own pop-up project. You are stymied by the question: "How do I adapt these classic, foundational structures to make MY OWN structures?" This workshop will help you think through that problem by exploring five different structures at three levels: foundational, transitional, and transformed. And if that weren't enough, you will explore an innovative roll-up binding approach (think scroll rather than codex) for the fifteen pop-up folios. In the end, you will have a compact, bound collection of study models that will propel you to the next step of pop-up invention. Beginners are welcome!
• scissors (optional)
• PVA or other craft glue, or glue stick
• one roll of 1/4" 415 tape
• at least 7 sheets 8.5" x 11" white 110 lb index stock
• at least 2 sheets 8.5" x 11" color (any!) 80 lb cover stock (see below)
• at least 3 sheets 8.5" x 11" white copy paper
• 1 sheet 8.5" x 11" 140 lb cover stock
• Participants must have the ZOOM video platform downloaded on a computer or phone. Download here.
• Participants must have reliable internet access and a computer or phone with sound recording and web-cam capabilities.
• Participants must have pre-workshop access to a standard printer.
• Once registered, students will receive a video meeting code along with simple ZOOM instructions. And remember: I'm in Chicago—Central Daylight Time!