This 2-day workshop runs for 8 hours (four 2-hr sessions):
Saturday, November 21, 10am-12pm and 1pm-3pm CST
Sunday, November 22, 10am-12pm and 1pm-3pm CST
You have explored the pop-up how-to books. You're ready to make your own pop-up project. You are stymied by the question: "How do I adapt these classic, foundational structures to make MY OWN structures?" This workshop will help you think through that problem by exploring three different structures at three levels: foundational, transitional, and transformational. To add to the fun, you will employ an innovative roll-up binding approach (think scroll rather than codex) for the pop-up folios. In the end you will have a tidy bound collection of study models that will propel you to the next step of pop-up invention. All are welcome!
This workshop is the third in a series of three. Level 3 structures are fairly sophisticated. The Level 1 and Level 2 structures are simpler. All levels will accommodate beginners. At each level, experienced participants will be challenged in new ways.
• xacto knife
• bone folder (optional)
• micro spatula (optional)
• tweezers (optional)
• scissors (optional)
• screw punch (optional)
• PVA or other white craft glue
• at least 6 sheets 8.5" x 11" white 110 lb index stock
• at least 2 sheets 8.5" x 11" color 80 lb cover stock (see below)
• at least 3 sheets 8.5" x 11" white copy paper
• 1 sheet 8.5" x 11" 140 lb cover stock
• 1 roll of 1/4" 415 tape (optional)
Three options for purchasing 80 lb cover stock variety packs:
Colorful Matte Basics Variety Cardstock Weight Paper from paperpapers.com
AC Cardstock Paper Packs from dickblick.com
10-piece Color Paper Pack from ARCH Art Supplies
You would also be welcome to use additional sheets of the white stock, which you might then choose to color by hand.
• Participants must have the ZOOM video platform downloaded on a computer or phone. Download here.
• Participants must have reliable internet access and a computer or phone with sound recording and web-cam capabilities.
• Participants must have pre-workshop access to a standard printer.
• Participants will receive a ZOOM link, pdf patterns and preparation instructions.
And remember: I'm in Chicago—Central Standard Time (CST).
Cost for each workshop in this series is $275.00. If you sign up for more than one workshop in this series, you'll pay just $250.00 per workshop.